Thursday 12 February 2015

Day 12: Martyr

Today's task is simple. Write from the perspective of someone who's belief you do not agree with. Not to mock, undermine or satirize but to find some truth in. Again this is a useful skill for writers as not all our characters should agree, nor should they all be mouthpieces for our own beliefs so it's vitally important to find the inherent truth in what someone is saying and be able to communicate that, even when it conflicts with your own ideologies. Ideally for something like this you'd do a great deal of research but hey, I only have a day! A fairly short monologue today, as I am pretty busy!


                                                                       Martyr
                                                            By Jeremy Linnell

Helzma: Did you know the word martyr originally meant witness? That never made sense to me. What can you witness when you’re dead? We’re told you go to heaven and get your reward so I just figured it meant witnessing that, getting to see the afterlife sooner. Or maybe being able to look back on your life, witness it as it was, not as you wanted it to be.
Then I moved here. The first question people always ask is “why did I come?”. I always felt it was obvious. There’s good hospitals. Good social structure. A place I can make a living. Freedom to keep my own culture. People act like these are bad things to want? Like you shouldn’t be proud of a country that can support its citizens, that welcomes us and doesn’t force us to be something we’re not. You should be proud. Proud that I can come here with my family and still preserve my heritage. Would you not want the same?

Yet there is no pride. Only distrust. I am asked if I hate women because I married the most beautiful woman in the world and she chooses to keep her beauty only for my eyes. I am told my way of slaughtering animals is cruel, yet you push them through machines that grind them for you, removing you from every death. Where I have to look in the eyes of each creature I kill and thank it for its sacrifice so that I may live. That I must feel its blood drain and know that it is on my hands. There is hypocrisy at the heart of your culture.

So leave. That is the common reply. But my problems lie not with the structures that have allowed my family to thrive, but the people. The ideologies. The hatred for my way of life. And all of it could be solved. Our lives are free of the worry and hatred that drives so many of yours. Our laws are simple, and honest. They would help you. That is what I always believed. My old country suffered because there was no unity. No strength. And here I see the same, with a different coat.

It’s frustrating. Seeing your life fall apart. Eroded from outside. I want to get on, but everywhere I turn I meet hostility and frustration. There has to be another way. A better way. I can feel it crumbling around me. Your…no MY country needs a statement. Something to show strength. That people do still believe in something.


That is why I am doing this. Not to punish. Not to cause pain. But so you can see the strength that comes from within. The strength needed to die for beliefs. How strong those beliefs are. Not one of you has that strength, possesses an ounce of that belief. How could you. Your way of life could not sustain it. But I know, in my heart that doing this will show that my beliefs are right. For they give me strength where you have none. Now I am the martyr and you will all bear witness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment