Sunday 8 February 2015

Day 7: Help! My Main Character Is A Twat

 Today's exercise was to take something we previously wrote (a letter, a short story, a play, anything) and pick it apart and re-write it. I'm actually doing that with a lot of plays of mine right now that started off as small pieces for scratch nights or commissions but I want to see as longer pieces. However as their original function was to be like short story or pop song extending them is not simply a case of making them longer. Currently they're also too long and unfished to really use for this exercise. So I wrote a play about trying to rewrite a play.                                            



                                                       Help! My Main Character Is A Twat!
                                                                    By Jeremy Linnell
Sitting at a kitchen table Jeremy agitatedly works on a laptop. Alex enters.
Alex: How’s it going? You getting anywhere?
Jeremy: No I’m completely stuck.
Alex: What’s the problem?
Jeremy: I just can’t seem to figure out the third act.
Alex: Well have you tried anything other than just staring at the page?
Jeremy: Look if you’re not going to help you can just piss off.
Alex: Don’t take your frustration out on me.
Jeremy: I’m frustrated at you taking the piss.
Alex: Sorry. I was trying to lighten the mood.
Jeremy: Yeah, you know how well that works when I’m trying to work.
Alex: I said I was sorry. Look, why don’t we talk through it. That sometimes helps.
Jeremy: <sighs> Fine. I’m going to go make a cup of tea first. Do you want one?
Alex: Yeah.
Jeremy: Biscuit?
Alex: You need to ask?
Jeremy: True. I’ll just wait while the kettle boils.
Alex: Jez…
Jeremy: What?
Alex: Stop procrastinating. Sit down.
Jeremy: Ugh. Fine.
Alex: So what’s the issue.
Jeremy: My main character is an unlikeable twat.
Alex: Well they do write what you know.
Jeremy: Har har.
Alex: And aren’t all your characters unlikable twats. That’s your thing isn’t it.
Jeremy: Well…not on purpose.
Alex: Bullshit not on purpose. You constantly play up the whole “humanity is a bit shit really” thing.
Jeremy: I’m just a realist.
Alex: So I take it you weren’t considering a happy ending then?
Jeremy: Well…define happy.
Alex: Romance, kissing, sunsets?
Jeremy: Well he kills and embalms his girlfriend and then himself so they can be together forever.
Alex: Have you ever considered the possibility that there is something supremely wrong with you.
Jeremy: It’s just my creative process!
Alex: What? Coming up with sick shit like that?
Jeremy: It’s a commentary on the dangers of trying to hold on to the past at the expense…
Alex: Yeah yeah I’m sure it’s very very clever. You just like being shocking.
Jeremy: Well it’s better than being predictable…
Alex: Hang on. Didn’t you write this months back?
Jeremy: Yeah. I’m trying to work it in to a longer piece, see if I can make a full show of it.
Alex: Who’d want to see a long play about a dude who kills his girlfriend?
Jeremy: People. Some people. A few. Dark comedy is popular.
Alex: Oh yeah, sounds like a real hoot.
Jeremy: Well the short one was, it was really funny in an awkward way. But when it’s longer he just looks like a twat.
Alex: So make him…not a twat?
Jeremy: But he has to be. It’s about toxic masculinity and nostalgia.
Alex: You really are a pretentious dick sometimes.
Jeremy: This isn’t actually helping my writer’s block you know.
Alex: Ok ok. So what’s the plan? Pick the story apart?
Jeremy: Done it.
Alex: Change the ending?
Jeremy: The endings the entire point!
Alex: Leave it and come back to it?
Jeremy: I did that six months ago! This is me coming back to it.
Alex: Well….yer fucked. Eff you see kay ee dee.
Jeremy: I know how to spell. Dick.
Alex: Then how come all those words on the screen are underline in red
Jeremy: I just…use a lot of spell check. It’s helpful!
Alex: So what are you going to do?
Jeremy: I dunno… I thought the start was pretty perfect for what I wanted but maybe the changes need to start there. A few little things just to give him more grounding before he goes mental.
Alex: That could work.
Jeremy: Maybe introduce the ideas I want from later in the play a bit earlier so it doesn’t seem to come out of nowhere. Just pick it apart. Be less precious and start a bit more from scratch. 
Alex: Glad I could help.
Jeremy: You didn’t do anything.
Alex: But you couldn’t have done it with me.
Jeremy: Oh piss you silly bastard. Daddy’s got writing to do.
Alex: Only if you promise to never call yourself Daddy again. See ya later.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment