Monday 23 February 2015

Day 23: Broken

Today's theme/title is "Secrets and Lies". I used a different title because I'm a dick. Not going to say much about this one. I couldn't sleep last night and so wrote this. In a side note looking back at yesterday's I'm noticing I used some letters twice. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN! I HAD A CHECKLIST. Ugh. I sicken myself. Ok. Today's play.

                                                                      Broken
                                                            By Jeremy Linnell

A hotel room. Flowers. Champagne. Romance. A couple sits on the bed.

Jake: I didn’t think you’d come.
Louisa: Neither did I.
Jake: Drink?
Louisa: No.
Jake: Not planning on staying then?
Louisa: I have to drive.
Jake: Is sharing my bed really that awful? You’ll drive a 6 hour round trip.
Louisa: I have to.
Jake: No have to about it. Plenty of beds here. Sofas too.
Louisa: You know what I mean.
Jake: No, I don’t. You could stay.
Louisa: I won’t though.
Jake: Ah. Now you’re being honest. Won’t is a world apart from can’t.
Louisa: Jake, don’t. I’m here.
Jake: Lucky me.
Louisa: I can leave you know.
Jake: I know. Please don’t.
Louisa: Then play nice.
Jake: It’s hard. I wanted you to come talk.
Louisa: And I wanted to come play.
Jake: Why? Surely not after the last time.
Louisa: I know that wasn’t you.
Jake: It was though…always saw the best…how is he?
Louisa: Who?
Jake: Mr. Dad.
Louisa: Come again?
Jake: Mr. 2.4 Children. Oh sorry. Mr. “I fucked a chink and got trapped with half-breeds”
Louisa: JAKE!
Jake: Did she love him?
Louisa: No.
Jake: Did she move here because he fucked her? Filled up her cunt?
Louisa: Don’t.
Jake: And then she’s fucking the milkman while he raises the brats. No wonder you love him. Another charity case. Another person to fix.
Louisa: Is that what you think I do?
Jake: If the shoe fits.
Louisa: I don’t love broken people.
Jake: Well between me and the slitty eye sperm doner I think you’d be hard pressed to argue otherwise.
Louisa: Is that how your mind works? Or are you just trying to push me away?
Jake: Babe, I wrapped my hands around your throat and squeezed. If you can’t stay away after that it’s not me with the problem.
Louisa: You had a breakdown.
Jake: Fancy words for fucking up.
Louisa: Maybe.
A pause
Jake: Don’t think about it that much if I’m honest. Too hot to touch. Do you?
Louisa: No.
Jake: So why did you leave?
Louisa: Do you really want to know?
Jake: More than anything. Actually that’s a lie. I want a drink first.
He goes and pours himself a large drink. Downs it. Time for a refill.
Louisa: Me too.
Jake: Thought you were driving.
Louisa: I can have one.
Jake: God you’re even teasing the booze.
Louisa: Just pour me a drink.
Jake: Got you a “fine rose”
Louisa: Of course. I’m a classy lady.
Jake: The best.
Louisa: Shut up and pour my drink.
Jake: Ok. But then you have to tell me.
Louisa: What?
Jake: Why you left.
Louisa: Ok
She drinks.
Louisa: I was sick of taking care of you. That night…was a one off thing. It was the rest of it.
Jake: I’m not sure if that’s better or worse.
Louisa: Just being honest.
Jake: I know. I appreciate it.
Louisa: You were hard work.
Jake: Still am, by all accounts. So why come back.
Louisa: Honestly?
Jake: We’ve not spoken in five years. We probably never will again. Be honest.
Louisa: You fuck like a demon.
Jake: Nice to know I’m good for something.
Louisa: I’m not kidding. You have this…animal raw magnetism. And you’re talented. Caring. A complete package.
She gazes longingly at his cock for a moment.
Jake: So why leave.
Louisa: Because you’re right. I did want to fix you. And when…you broke I realised I couldn’t. Maybe no one could.
Jake: I’ve gotten better.
Louisa: I know. I’ve actually kept track. But you know something?
Jake: What?
Louisa: What makes you brilliant is probably what makes you dangerous. That energy is uncontainable.
Jake: I’d give that up. I don’t want that. I want normal. I want a life. A family.
Louisa: Don’t you fucking dare. The world has plenty of people settling. You can you better. You have to. You owe it to the rest of us.
Jake: I don’t want that.
Louisa: We have to take what we’re given. Live with it. For better or worse.
Jake: It’s not fair.
Louisa: I know. But fair has nothing to do with it. You wanted closure. One more night? I’m happy giving you that.
Jake: I want more.
Louisa: It won’t happen. I’m sorry. What I love, what I fear, what I hate? They’re all the same.
Jake: Why tell me that? Do you want to torture me?
Louisa: No. But you wanted honesty.
Jake: I think I’m done with honesty. I want you to hold me. For once more night.
Louisa: I can do that.
Jake: You always gave the best cuddles.
Louisa: I think that’s a two person job.
Jake: Just…take the compliment. Let me love you for one more night. Tomorrow you leave. And the world ends.
Jake starts to walk off stage. As he does he passes a man, HIM, who looks exactly like him except his eyes, which are soulless and without pupils, white orbs of nothingness in his face. This man moves with a frantic, broken energy. Like watching a film that is stuck slipping between fast forward and slow motion.
The new man grabs Louisa by the throat and pushes her back on the bed. He mounts her and fucks her. She cums.
He turns her over and fucks her from behind. She cums.
He turns her back over, desperate to see her face. It’s gone.
As he reaches his climax he places his hands around her throat and chokes the life out of her.
He kisses her passionately, as he does so he consumes her soul.
Hungry from the act he starts to devour her body, piece by piece, until nothing is left.
He wanders around the empty room. He drinks.
He sits.
He weeps in his loneliness.
He vomits up her bones
He arranges them in the most beautiful of patterns.
He admires his work.
HIM: I’m sorry. This is what I do.
He slits his wrists. Watches contemplatively as the blood flows, not gushing, but a slow constant river, mixing with her bones and completing the tableau.
Satisfied he dies.

                                                            The End

No comments:

Post a Comment